With the rise of social media, online video and gamified experiences, its easy to assume that direct marketing has become outdated. Who has the time to look at physical information anymore? We have everything we need at the tips of our fingers – on our smart phones. However, with more and more people signing up to newsletters, competitions and updates online, inboxes are becoming bombarded. It can be a timely experience sorting through all the online junk mail. Receiving something in a physical form doesn’t provide the opportunity to delete it without looking at it. But you might be wondering, is direct mail still effective? Is the cost worth it?
Here are 5 reasons why direct marketing can help boost your sales when it is strategically integrated with these same online channels;
1. Its targeted: Direct marketing allows you to choose your audience by geography and demographics – meaning you can communicate with your best potential customers.
2. It’s quick: Unlike a mass-media campaign which can take weeks or months to launce, a direct mail campaign can be organised and executed in a matter of days.
3. It’s personal: Direct mail allows you to add that personal touch. Most people love seeing mail addressed to them by name – especially when it’s not bills! Customers are more likely responds to a direct marketing message when it is addressed to the customer’s personal needs.
4. It’s tangible: Direct mail is one of few marketing techniques that allows you to physically place a message in the customer’s hands. It also allows you to be creative – with size, style, and use. How about a flyer that turns into a bookmark? This tangibility can also be integrated with mobile platforms through the use of QR codes – allowing your customers to actively find out more.
5. It’s accountable: Having the ability to track the success of a campaign is powerful. Whether you count the number of coupons redeemed, or inquiries received, being able to visibly see results of the campaign allows you to make amendments if necessary and see if it’s actually worked.
Direct marketing is an effective tool to reach potential customers and develop a relationship with existing customers, maximising their loyalty to your business. With the right message going to the right people, time is saved and money isn’t wasted.